Sometimes its hard to believe YouTube has only been around for 5 years, so ubiquitous has it become. A great viral video can break a band – here are some ideas for YouTube content beyond the standard song promo video: 1 – Animated Videos – Approach a local college, filmmakers forum or your Twitter/Facebook followers [...]
Archive | September, 2010
In the last few years music blogs have become essential for new artists, moving faster than the print press ever could. Some of these blogs have massive audiences from one person in a bedroom to sites such as Pitchfork which is closer to a print magazine. Blog search engines such as the Hype Machine allow [...]
Local scenes have always been vital for the development of new acts. From Folktronica to Madchester to Dubstep to Punk, these scenes often start locally then break internationally. Now online and offline local scenes are just as important, as a community of people is always stronger than bands working alone. Here are some reasons why [...]
One of the most exciting things about new media is the move from people being passive listeners to collaborators by producing content of their own, based on your output. One example of this is a growing trend is for people to offer their music to be remixed. Artists from Gang Of Four to Radiohead to [...]
We’ve all had them, the gig you’ve rehearsed for (for months) that when you get there is empty of all but the bar staff and a dog. Any musician who says it hasn’t happened to them is either lying or hasn’t gigged much. It happens, its just the way it is. One way to avoid [...]
After “How do I get my music on iTunes?” the second question for musicians often is “How do I find my audience?”. The answer is your audience is already out there, you just need to connect to them. Don’t go chasing the mainstream – its not there anymore (unless you count the horrors of the [...]
Podcasts are a fantastic place to get your music heard, over the the last 5 years podcasts have grown to become the equivalent of radio for the internet, some have 1000′s of listeners, some have 5. Its often hard to work out how many listeners a podcast has, you can get a rough idea from [...]
- 10 Things You Need To Know About Gigs On Ustream: August 10, 2010
- How to get your music on podcasts September 3, 2010
- Should you put your music on Spotify? July 12, 2011
- How do you get your music on itunes? August 26, 2010
- Hip hop marketing ideas for artists…..(Part 2) March 22, 2011
- Is DIY the only way for your band? May 23, 2013
- What is your band’s Elevator Pitch? April 18, 2013
- Black Flag’s Henry Rollins on how he found success as a musician. July 24, 2012
- Why do people go to gigs by unsigned and obscure bands? July 5, 2012
- How do you plan the perfect CD release gig? June 12, 2012
- Dreama: Great article! Finally somebody actually embrac...
- Angel Morales: hi Nick My Name is DJ Collisions I am trying to ge...
- SUPREME: REAL HIP HOP FROM OUT OF THE BAY AREA ! https://ww...
- Butterbee_044: Same here, I don't do the whole posting on blogs ...
- Comeseetheband: hi my name is Marlia and i want to spread the word...
Follow @liveunsigned on Twitter