Being an independent musician doesn’t mean doing everything yourself, nobody has all the skills that you’ll need to build a fan base. In the early stages of your career you won’t be able to pay people so you’ll need to rally friends and band members to fill these roles. You may find you have a [...]
Archive | April, 2011
Festivals are a great way for an unsigned band to get in front of a decent sized audience, but they aren’t easy to get to play, as everyone wants to do it. From the Benicassim Festival in Spain and the wonderful Strawberry Fair in Cambridge to the local folk festival, there are opportunities for artists [...]
In the second part of our post on planning an album release we look at the final few months before the album comes out: 2 months before the release: Work out and allocate your advertising budget and place ads. Remember to focus on a small niche audience, ideally of a few thousand people. [...]
It is a big job putting out a new album and every release is different, with its own problems. Working to a very specific plan will allow you to ensure everything gets done. What follows is our step by step guide to putting out a DIY album. 6 months before the release date: Work out [...]
Artsfest is the UK’s largest free arts festival and they are currently looking for performers. From indie rock to bhangra to hip-hop all styles are represented, but you’ll have to be quick if you want to apply, the deadline for entries is the 18th of April at 5pm. Artsfest takes place in Birmingham (UK) 10-11th [...]
Up until recently the only musicians you could work with were the ones in your local area, but thanks to the web this is no longer a problem. With the correct software and connections you can make records with musicians from around the world. Never again will you be unable to find a drummer for [...]
The St. Helier Cider Online Music Awards is an new online event for unsigned bands, now in its second year. It is only open to unsigned acts. There are seven categories: Best Urban Act Best Rock Act Best Pop Act Best Dance Act Best Music Website Best International Unsigned Act Best Music Video You can [...]
Mastering is a subject that most bands find confusing and one that’s a lot easier to explain by demonstrating the effect it has on a recording. Once you hear the difference you’ll hear how important it is. The mastering process will allow your recordings to stand out and give them that final professional sound (and [...]
Last week we wrote about how to get journalists interested in your band. So when you have their attention what do you send them? You need a press kit, a standard pack you can send to journalists or anyone interested in your band (including promoters/podcasters etc). A press kit can be electronic or sent as [...]
Often musicians complain that social media doesn’t work, that they aren’t making any money and that marketing shouldn’t be their concern. They think its the job of the industry to market their music and they want to delegate updating their blog/Twitter/social media to others. This attitude won’t inspire much confidence from anybody (especially not managers [...]
- 10 Things You Need To Know About Gigs On Ustream: August 10, 2010
- How to get your music on podcasts September 3, 2010
- Should you put your music on Spotify? July 12, 2011
- How do you get your music on itunes? August 26, 2010
- Hip hop marketing ideas for artists…..(Part 2) March 22, 2011
- Is DIY the only way for your band? May 23, 2013
- What is your band’s Elevator Pitch? April 18, 2013
- Black Flag’s Henry Rollins on how he found success as a musician. July 24, 2012
- Why do people go to gigs by unsigned and obscure bands? July 5, 2012
- How do you plan the perfect CD release gig? June 12, 2012
- Dreama: Great article! Finally somebody actually embrac...
- Angel Morales: hi Nick My Name is DJ Collisions I am trying to ge...
- SUPREME: REAL HIP HOP FROM OUT OF THE BAY AREA ! https://ww...
- Butterbee_044: Same here, I don't do the whole posting on blogs ...
- Comeseetheband: hi my name is Marlia and i want to spread the word...
Follow @liveunsigned on Twitter