Many promoters go out of their way to make gigs great for bands and audiences, listing gigs on Live Unsigned, putting up posters, flyering and spreading the word across social media. This post isn’t about those promoters. It is about the promoters who create the gigs that split up bands and waste your time. You [...]
Archive | May, 2011
Increasingly record labels are taking less chances with the artists they sign. At the recent Great Escape music conference we got a chance to talk to a major label A & R person and ask them about some of the things they are looking for. One of the most important things to note is that [...]
Every act from hip-hop to death metal needs fans, people who support you financially and spread the word about your music. But why should fans choose to follow you? It takes more than great music, although that always has to be the start of it all. To build a fan base you need to build [...]
Frank Zappa was an artist that people either loved or hated. A brilliant guitarist, composer, satirist and band leader Zappa’s career extended from the 60′s to his tragically early death in 1993. An original thinker way ahead of his time, by the end of his career Zappa owned his own masters and released a vast amount [...]
Bands often complain that they can’t get gigs or have trouble building an audience. You can wait around for promoters, the press, bloggers and fans to discover your music or you can be proactive and make it happen yourself. Promoting your own gig with other bands/acts you want to play with and a decent DJ [...]
Many bands are starting to abandon the traditional method of releasing an album and some singles every few years. Artists as diverse as Kanye West, Jonathan Coulton and Radiohead have all chosen to abandon or vary the usual release schedules. Doing things differently gets fans talking especially when tied in with live events (listed on [...]
Once your band has been going for a while you should be in the position where promoters are offering you gigs. If you are a new band it is wise to take as many gigs as possible to gain experience of playing in front of an audience but once you’ve been gigging for a while [...]
Press releases are an essential for getting print press, it gives journalists a quick and easy way to get the information about your band and what you are doing. They need to be well written, interesting and to the point. Just a few paragraphs and less than 500 words. Often the text of a press [...]
In part 2 of this post we look at some more people you will need for your support team. These people may be in your band or may be friends, fans or family. You’ll need all the help you can get in the early stages of your musical career: A social media person – This [...]
- 10 Things You Need To Know About Gigs On Ustream: August 10, 2010
- How to get your music on podcasts September 3, 2010
- Should you put your music on Spotify? July 12, 2011
- Hip hop marketing ideas for artists…..(Part 2) March 22, 2011
- How do you get your music on itunes? August 26, 2010
- What is your band’s Elevator Pitch? April 18, 2013
- Black Flag’s Henry Rollins on how he found success as a musician. July 24, 2012
- Why do people go to gigs by unsigned and obscure bands? July 5, 2012
- How do you plan the perfect CD release gig? June 12, 2012
- How did Amanda Palmer raise over half a million dollars from her fans in under a week? May 18, 2012
- Angel Morales: hi Nick My Name is DJ Collisions I am trying to ge...
- SUPREME: REAL HIP HOP FROM OUT OF THE BAY AREA ! https://ww...
- Butterbee_044: Same here, I don't do the whole posting on blogs ...
- Comeseetheband: hi my name is Marlia and i want to spread the word...
- PHOENIXSTAR9: It's people like you that give me hope for the mu...
Follow @liveunsigned on Twitter