When you talk to musicians they all seem to ask one question, how do you get gigs? It is relatively easy to get bad gigs (pay to play etc) but getting decent gigs is still tough. It is hard pushing yourself without a booking agent but the only way to build your team (management/booking agent/PR [...]
Archive | August, 2011
Times are hard for everyone at the moment, especially musicians. Unfortunately you can spend a lot of time signing up for free promotional sites online that will do nothing to raise their profile. Your time is limited, as are your funds so you need to focus on the free and low cost promotional opportunities that [...]
Being an innovator in the music industry is never easy, but Radiohead have managed it both musically and in terms of their engagement with fans and labels. When the band started in the mid 80′s there was no Youtube, no Live Unsigned to post gigs on and no Twitter. Now you can do most of the [...]
Rehearsing can be frustrating when all you want to do is be up in front of an audience and getting out there and doing it for real. What happens on stage is directly related to what happens in the rehearsal room. Get it right here and you will have more chance of building a fan [...]
When we think of viral videos we often think of cute cats, the Star Wars kid and free hugs. They are also an incredibly useful tool for DIY musicians to connect with a large audience. However it’s not easy to make a viral video happen, if it was everyone would be doing it. You can’t [...]
Online forums aren’t cool and they are not the most obvious place to promote your music. You are probably better off focusing on social media, blogs and listings on Live Unsigned initially. But Forums do have some things going for them, they are where the really keen, evangelical fans hang out. The super fans. The fans [...]
Getting gigs can often be a very competitive business, everyone wants the best slots. Often bands struggle to know what to say when approaching promoters via email to get the first few gigs. This is our guide to putting together a very basic, to the point, generic email to send to promoters to get you playing [...]
Google Plus is Google’s latest attempt at a social network. It is like a stripped down Facebook or like Twitter if you could use more than 140 characters, with a few cool additional features. You can post links, photos and videos as you can on most networks but you can also filter people you are [...]
In the final part of this post we look at street teams, budgeting, merchandising and avoiding strained relationships on the road. Here are some more things that you need to bear in mind: Build relationships - Don’t be late or annoy promoters or behave like an egotistical rock star. In the early stages of your touring [...]
- 10 Things You Need To Know About Gigs On Ustream: August 10, 2010
- How to get your music on podcasts September 3, 2010
- Should you put your music on Spotify? July 12, 2011
- Hip hop marketing ideas for artists…..(Part 2) March 22, 2011
- How do you get your music on itunes? August 26, 2010
- What is your band’s Elevator Pitch? April 18, 2013
- Black Flag’s Henry Rollins on how he found success as a musician. July 24, 2012
- Why do people go to gigs by unsigned and obscure bands? July 5, 2012
- How do you plan the perfect CD release gig? June 12, 2012
- How did Amanda Palmer raise over half a million dollars from her fans in under a week? May 18, 2012
- Angel Morales: hi Nick My Name is DJ Collisions I am trying to ge...
- SUPREME: REAL HIP HOP FROM OUT OF THE BAY AREA ! https://ww...
- Butterbee_044: Same here, I don't do the whole posting on blogs ...
- Comeseetheband: hi my name is Marlia and i want to spread the word...
- PHOENIXSTAR9: It's people like you that give me hope for the mu...
Follow @liveunsigned on Twitter