What happens when someone asks: “What does you band sound like?” This is never an easy question to answer, it’s the question most musicians dread. Everyone likes to think their band is unique and special but often people need to get a rough idea of what sort of music you perform. Sometimes you only get seconds [...]
Archive | Top Tips RSS feed for this section
We’ve mentioned Black Flag on this blog before. This video is about how Henry Rollins (Black Flag’s best known singer) joined the band. Through hard work, focus, discipline and a lucky break he achieved success as a musician. He’s also acted in hollywood movies, started his own publishing company and become a successful spoken word artist. [...]
Who are those people who go to see bands at “unsigned nights”? It is very rarely someone who happens to be passing by a venue and just pops in (especially if there is an admission fee). So who will be at your first few gigs? Friends and family of your band members – Phone them, [...]
If you’ve spent months writing and recording your new CD (let alone doing all the artwork and other stuff) you’ll want the CD release gig to be perfect. It needs to be an event that people will get excited about, something special and remarkable. How do you do that? Here are some ideas: List it [...]
Well known social media user and musician Amanda Palmer recently started a campaign using Kickstarter.
The very idea of “making it” in music has changed in the last few years. Previously the only way of making a living from music (outside of covers and more esoteric pursuits) was to sign to a label. Now many musicians make a living from a small number of fans, artists like Steve Lawson to [...]
When you see bands with thousands of Facebook likes or Twitter followers it can seem really intimidating and it is easy to feel that as a new artist you will never be able to build that kind of audience. Building a fan base takes time and most people with lots of fans and followers don’t [...]
It used to be relatively simple to work out how successful musicians got paid, you signed to a record label, put out an album and toured in support of it. If you made a profit after paying back your advance and all associated costs you got paid. This is called recouping (most bands failed to [...]
Many musicians are looking to stop piracy but some bands are finding ways to use free music, illegal downloading and so called “piracy” to grow their audience. In a recent interview on Forbes.com Joy Williams from successful indie band The Civil Wars said: “Sure, piracy has its drawbacks, but it also has positives, we’ve had [...]
As a musician you often feel that what you are doing with your musical career doesn’t compare to what others are achieving. Other bands often seem to gain fans more quickly, get better gigs and get more attention from the press. It’s very easy to lose your motivation. One thing to bear in mind is [...]
- 10 Things You Need To Know About Gigs On Ustream: August 10, 2010
- How to get your music on podcasts September 3, 2010
- Should you put your music on Spotify? July 12, 2011
- Hip hop marketing ideas for artists…..(Part 2) March 22, 2011
- How do you get your music on itunes? August 26, 2010
- What is your band’s Elevator Pitch? April 18, 2013
- Black Flag’s Henry Rollins on how he found success as a musician. July 24, 2012
- Why do people go to gigs by unsigned and obscure bands? July 5, 2012
- How do you plan the perfect CD release gig? June 12, 2012
- How did Amanda Palmer raise over half a million dollars from her fans in under a week? May 18, 2012
- Angel Morales: hi Nick My Name is DJ Collisions I am trying to ge...
- SUPREME: REAL HIP HOP FROM OUT OF THE BAY AREA ! https://ww...
- Butterbee_044: Same here, I don't do the whole posting on blogs ...
- Comeseetheband: hi my name is Marlia and i want to spread the word...
- PHOENIXSTAR9: It's people like you that give me hope for the mu...
Follow @liveunsigned on Twitter