It used to be relatively simple to work out how successful musicians got paid, you signed to a record label, put out an album and toured in support of it. If you made a profit after paying back your advance and all associated costs you got paid. This is called recouping (most bands failed to [...]
Tag Archives | marketing
Many musicians are looking to stop piracy but some bands are finding ways to use free music, illegal downloading and so called “piracy” to grow their audience. In a recent interview on Forbes.com Joy Williams from successful indie band The Civil Wars said: “Sure, piracy has its drawbacks, but it also has positives, we’ve had [...]
As a musician you often feel that what you are doing with your musical career doesn’t compare to what others are achieving. Other bands often seem to gain fans more quickly, get better gigs and get more attention from the press. It’s very easy to lose your motivation. One thing to bear in mind is [...]
On the Time magazine website there is an article by an obscure indie rock band called Two Lights talking about how expensive it is to become a rock star. It is always a bad idea to complain in public. GQ called them “Hapless poster-bros for self-importance…full of whiny self-entitlement” and across the web people are ridiculing [...]
At a recent music industry event a well known music industry manager said that he wouldn’t even consider working with an act unless they were “under 25, good looking and ready to sign to a major label in 6 months”. Many people within the music industry are the same. But when you look at how [...]
Booking gigs is a lot of work, especially when you are doing everything yourself in the early days of your career. What many bands look for is a booking agent (booking agents work with promoters to put together the line ups at gigs). Many musicians start to look for a booking agent early on, however [...]
Being an innovator in the music industry is never easy, but Radiohead have managed it both musically and in terms of their engagement with fans and labels. When the band started in the mid 80′s there was no Youtube, no Live Unsigned to post gigs on and no Twitter. Now you can do most of the [...]
Online forums aren’t cool and they are not the most obvious place to promote your music. You are probably better off focusing on social media, blogs and listings on Live Unsigned initially. But Forums do have some things going for them, they are where the really keen, evangelical fans hang out. The super fans. The fans [...]
DIY musicians rarely find themselves with any spare time, they need to focus on the important things that will build you an audience. Important tasks like listing your gigs on Live Unsigned, talking to fans, sending messages to your mailing list, dealing with the industry and booking gigs are more than enough to keep you [...]
You see QR (Quick Response) codes in lots of places now, from supermarkets to posters to signs to business cards. This is an example of a QR code for Live Unsigned‘s front page. If you’ve not seen them before they are the checkered boxes with a complicated pattern and they are becoming more and more common. You scan them [...]
- 10 Things You Need To Know About Gigs On Ustream: August 10, 2010
- How to get your music on podcasts September 3, 2010
- Should you put your music on Spotify? July 12, 2011
- Hip hop marketing ideas for artists…..(Part 2) March 22, 2011
- How do you get your music on itunes? August 26, 2010
- What is your band’s Elevator Pitch? April 18, 2013
- Black Flag’s Henry Rollins on how he found success as a musician. July 24, 2012
- Why do people go to gigs by unsigned and obscure bands? July 5, 2012
- How do you plan the perfect CD release gig? June 12, 2012
- How did Amanda Palmer raise over half a million dollars from her fans in under a week? May 18, 2012
- Angel Morales: hi Nick My Name is DJ Collisions I am trying to ge...
- SUPREME: REAL HIP HOP FROM OUT OF THE BAY AREA ! https://ww...
- Butterbee_044: Same here, I don't do the whole posting on blogs ...
- Comeseetheband: hi my name is Marlia and i want to spread the word...
- PHOENIXSTAR9: It's people like you that give me hope for the mu...
Follow @liveunsigned on Twitter