What happens when someone asks: “What does you band sound like?” This is never an easy question to answer, it’s the question most musicians dread. Everyone likes to think their band is unique and special but often people need to get a rough idea of what sort of music you perform. Sometimes you only get seconds [...]
Tag Archives | playing live
It used to be relatively simple to work out how successful musicians got paid, you signed to a record label, put out an album and toured in support of it. If you made a profit after paying back your advance and all associated costs you got paid. This is called recouping (most bands failed to [...]
Many musicians are looking to stop piracy but some bands are finding ways to use free music, illegal downloading and so called “piracy” to grow their audience. In a recent interview on Forbes.com Joy Williams from successful indie band The Civil Wars said: “Sure, piracy has its drawbacks, but it also has positives, we’ve had [...]
Recently we highlighted the story of Jon Gomm’s viral video hit Passionflower and the how it received over a million views thanks to Reddit and social media. Many people see viral hits as useful but can’t see that they cross over into the mainstream press and TV. It depends who is talking about your music [...]
On the Time magazine website there is an article by an obscure indie rock band called Two Lights talking about how expensive it is to become a rock star. It is always a bad idea to complain in public. GQ called them “Hapless poster-bros for self-importance…full of whiny self-entitlement” and across the web people are ridiculing [...]
On this blog we often talk about building the audience first and letting the music industry come to you, this will happen as soon as they see you playing large venues, selling thousands of CDs and bringing a crowd. The other way is to play music industry showcase gigs, often at conferences, sometimes in front [...]
At a recent music industry event a well known music industry manager said that he wouldn’t even consider working with an act unless they were “under 25, good looking and ready to sign to a major label in 6 months”. Many people within the music industry are the same. But when you look at how [...]
One of the things unsigned bands often want to do is do support slots with well known acts. Support slots allow you the opportunity to connect to both a new audience and people within the industry. Bands have supports for a few reasons but mostly to get a few extra people through the door. Sometimes [...]
Most bands dream of walking out onstage to a packed audience, full of excited fans, screaming and clapping. That is the dream. But what is the path to get to that point? How do you go from playing in a pub to gaining the attention of the fans and the music industry? It happens all [...]
Ten years ago it used to be easy to know how to sell your music, you printed CDs then hoped you would sell them at gigs or if possible you would get a distributer. Now most people consume music digitally via the web, often illegally. So do you need to sell CDs or any physical [...]
- 10 Things You Need To Know About Gigs On Ustream: August 10, 2010
- How to get your music on podcasts September 3, 2010
- Should you put your music on Spotify? July 12, 2011
- How do you get your music on itunes? August 26, 2010
- Hip hop marketing ideas for artists…..(Part 2) March 22, 2011
- Is DIY the only way for your band? May 23, 2013
- What is your band’s Elevator Pitch? April 18, 2013
- Black Flag’s Henry Rollins on how he found success as a musician. July 24, 2012
- Why do people go to gigs by unsigned and obscure bands? July 5, 2012
- How do you plan the perfect CD release gig? June 12, 2012
- Dreama: Great article! Finally somebody actually embrac...
- Angel Morales: hi Nick My Name is DJ Collisions I am trying to ge...
- SUPREME: REAL HIP HOP FROM OUT OF THE BAY AREA ! https://ww...
- Butterbee_044: Same here, I don't do the whole posting on blogs ...
- Comeseetheband: hi my name is Marlia and i want to spread the word...
Follow @liveunsigned on Twitter