What happens when someone asks: “What does you band sound like?” This is never an easy question to answer, it’s the question most musicians dread. Everyone likes to think their band is unique and special but often people need to get a rough idea of what sort of music you perform. Sometimes you only get seconds [...]
Tag Archives | promoters
It used to be relatively simple to work out how successful musicians got paid, you signed to a record label, put out an album and toured in support of it. If you made a profit after paying back your advance and all associated costs you got paid. This is called recouping (most bands failed to [...]
Most bands dream of walking out onstage to a packed audience, full of excited fans, screaming and clapping. That is the dream. But what is the path to get to that point? How do you go from playing in a pub to gaining the attention of the fans and the music industry? It happens all [...]
Often on the blog we talk about putting on your own gigs and how to make things happen for yourself. One of the things you will want to do when organising your own events is to sell tickets via the web. Ticket Tailor is a company that allows you to sell tickets for your events [...]
Booking gigs is a lot of work, especially when you are doing everything yourself in the early days of your career. What many bands look for is a booking agent (booking agents work with promoters to put together the line ups at gigs). Many musicians start to look for a booking agent early on, however [...]
When you talk to musicians they all seem to ask one question, how do you get gigs? It is relatively easy to get bad gigs (pay to play etc) but getting decent gigs is still tough. It is hard pushing yourself without a booking agent but the only way to build your team (management/booking agent/PR [...]
Times are hard for everyone at the moment, especially musicians. Unfortunately you can spend a lot of time signing up for free promotional sites online that will do nothing to raise their profile. Your time is limited, as are your funds so you need to focus on the free and low cost promotional opportunities that [...]
Getting gigs can often be a very competitive business, everyone wants the best slots. Often bands struggle to know what to say when approaching promoters via email to get the first few gigs. This is our guide to putting together a very basic, to the point, generic email to send to promoters to get you playing [...]
In part 2 of this post we look at more of the things you need to think about when organising your first national tour: Make sure you have an AMAZING live act – It seems obvious but don’t tour until you are experienced in playing live and your live act is really tight. No mumbled [...]
A national tour is an amazing experience for a band but it needs a lot of work to ensure the venues are full, the fans are happy and the band doesn’t end up freezing in a ditch or in prison. You need to put a lot of effort in if you don’t want to end [...]
- 10 Things You Need To Know About Gigs On Ustream: August 10, 2010
- How to get your music on podcasts September 3, 2010
- Should you put your music on Spotify? July 12, 2011
- How do you get your music on itunes? August 26, 2010
- Hip hop marketing ideas for artists…..(Part 2) March 22, 2011
- Is DIY the only way for your band? May 23, 2013
- What is your band’s Elevator Pitch? April 18, 2013
- Black Flag’s Henry Rollins on how he found success as a musician. July 24, 2012
- Why do people go to gigs by unsigned and obscure bands? July 5, 2012
- How do you plan the perfect CD release gig? June 12, 2012
- Dreama: Great article! Finally somebody actually embrac...
- Angel Morales: hi Nick My Name is DJ Collisions I am trying to ge...
- SUPREME: REAL HIP HOP FROM OUT OF THE BAY AREA ! https://ww...
- Butterbee_044: Same here, I don't do the whole posting on blogs ...
- Comeseetheband: hi my name is Marlia and i want to spread the word...
Follow @liveunsigned on Twitter