You often hear experts online saying how great things are now for musicians, how there are so many tools online to build your fanbase and get your music out there. However, not all artists are good at social networking. Some people don’t have the people skills or the time to do all the thousands of [...]
Tag Archives | twitter
On the Time magazine website there is an article by an obscure indie rock band called Two Lights talking about how expensive it is to become a rock star. It is always a bad idea to complain in public. GQ called them “Hapless poster-bros for self-importance…full of whiny self-entitlement” and across the web people are ridiculing [...]
When we think of viral videos we often think of cute cats, the Star Wars kid and free hugs. They are also an incredibly useful tool for DIY musicians to connect with a large audience. However it’s not easy to make a viral video happen, if it was everyone would be doing it. You can’t [...]
A national tour is an amazing experience for a band but it needs a lot of work to ensure the venues are full, the fans are happy and the band doesn’t end up freezing in a ditch or in prison. You need to put a lot of effort in if you don’t want to end [...]
Unsigned bands are expected to be many things, from booking agents to web designers to social media content creators. One thing that you will need that is essential is a great album cover. For some artists the physical album is less important but some sort of artwork that you associate with a release will always [...]
Often musicians complain that social media doesn’t work, that they aren’t making any money and that marketing shouldn’t be their concern. They think its the job of the industry to market their music and they want to delegate updating their blog/Twitter/social media to others. This attitude won’t inspire much confidence from anybody (especially not managers [...]
One thing that bands are always looking for is positive print press. Magazines, fanzines and newspapers do still have a place in building an audience and positive press gives a lot of credibility to your online activities. The conventional way of getting press is either to send off lots of press kits and hope someone [...]
It’s really easy to spend lots of time online and not actually get anything done to grow your audience. A simple daily check list can keep you motivated and stop you spending three hours staring at a twitter #catjokes hashtag. Better to spend an hour a day getting stuff done for your career than a [...]
In the second part of our post on the benefits of using Twitter we look at some ideas for more experienced users. Manage your time. Twitter isn’t your marketing campaign, its just part of it. If you spend all day on Twitter you won’t have anything interesting to tell people about, go out into the [...]
Twitter is one of the best tools to connect with your audience, if you are prepared to put the time in. If you look at ten different musician’s Twitter feeds you will most likely see ten different ways of presenting yourself on Twitter. There are no strict right and wrongs, the most important thing is [...]
- 10 Things You Need To Know About Gigs On Ustream: August 10, 2010
- How to get your music on podcasts September 3, 2010
- Should you put your music on Spotify? July 12, 2011
- How do you get your music on itunes? August 26, 2010
- Hip hop marketing ideas for artists…..(Part 2) March 22, 2011
- Is DIY the only way for your band? May 23, 2013
- What is your band’s Elevator Pitch? April 18, 2013
- Black Flag’s Henry Rollins on how he found success as a musician. July 24, 2012
- Why do people go to gigs by unsigned and obscure bands? July 5, 2012
- How do you plan the perfect CD release gig? June 12, 2012
- Dreama: Great article! Finally somebody actually embrac...
- Angel Morales: hi Nick My Name is DJ Collisions I am trying to ge...
- SUPREME: REAL HIP HOP FROM OUT OF THE BAY AREA ! https://ww...
- Butterbee_044: Same here, I don't do the whole posting on blogs ...
- Comeseetheband: hi my name is Marlia and i want to spread the word...
Follow @liveunsigned on Twitter